Be Cool With Your Pool
The average pool evaporates its entire contents (16,000 gallons) each year! Get tips to efficiently manage your pool and reduce your water-use.
- Keep pool water level lower to reduce water loss caused by splashing.
- Meter the water that refills the pool; if you notice a sharp increase, you may have a leak.
- Direct pool filter backwash water to plants or use it for other beneficial purposes. Or, use cartridge filters that can be cleaned without having to backwash.
- Equip swimming pools, fountains, ponds and other ornamental water features with re-circulating pumps.
- Install a pool cover to prevent water evaporation from your pool. In Phoenix and Tucson, the average evaporation rate is approximately 6 feet per year. 90%-95% of pool and spa water lost to evaporation can be saved by installing a pool cover.